It was May 21, 1878, when the South Bend Greenstockings opened their first season at Green Stocking Ball Park, located at the corner of Napier, Thomas, and McPherson Streets in South Bend. When the team was founded, they turned to the community for financial support. The response was so great that they were able to not only buy their uniforms but also construct their own ball field. The team got its name from the bright green uniforms and dark green stockings worn by the players. Originally, the team uniform boasted a large S.B. (for South Bend) on the front of their jerseys. In the first game they played, over 1,500 spectators came to watch the Greenstockings go up against a Valparaiso team. The visitors taunted the South Bend players by yelling that the S.B. stood for “silly boys,” and as a result, the team changed their uniforms to say South Bend. The Greenstockings were active for seven seasons, playing from 1878-1880 and then again from 1884-1889.
The South Bend Greenstockings
Send this to a friend