This high wheel bicycle—also called a penny-farthing or high wheeler–features a large front wheel and much smaller rear wheel, and has hand brakes, typical of many high wheelers. The frame was steel, making the bicycle very heavy. In those days, bicycle clubs were popular, and it is possible that the rider’s jacket and cap designated him as a club member. This photograph, dated 1894, was taken in front of St. James Episcopal Church, located on the west side of Lafayette Street between Washington and Colfax.
Send this to a friend