The History Museum holds collections related to a variety of periods and topics, including prehistoric, pioneer, Native American, ethnic/immigrant, industrial, business, furniture, decorative arts, textiles, military, political, and more.
In the Oliver Mansion, our Copshaholm collections range from mid-16th century to mid-20th century and include decorative arts, architecture, paintings, furniture, textiles, library, archival collection of Oliver personal and business papers, photographs, costumes, and silver. Archival collections include photographs of local citizens and businesses, architectural drawings and blueprints, manuscripts, personal papers, ethnic/immigrant papers and documents, business/industrial papers and documents, advertising, locally published newspapers from 1830, scrapbooks, military records, oral histories, videos, and films.
All-American Girls Professional Baseball League, 1943-1954. The collection includes photographs, programs, film footage, scrapbooks and playing equipment used by the teams.
Since its founding in 1867, the Northern Indiana Historical Society, which operates The History Museum, has been given nearly 100,000 pieces of historic clothing, dating from the 17thcentury to the present day. A short list of pieces in the collection include ca. 1650 religious vestments, Revolutionary War uniform pieces, an 1820s wedding ensemble, a gown worn by Mrs. Ellen Colfax at the inauguration of her husband, Schuyler Colfax, as Vice President under Ulysses S. Grant, a 1920s flapper gown by the famous Parisian designer Madeleine Vionnet, a World War II leather and wool flying suit, Girl and Boy Scout uniforms, and prom gowns from the 1990s.
Grant-Colfax Lithograph – This framed lithograph of Ulysses S. Grant and Schuyler Colfax was published by Currier & Ives in 1868 as a campaign poster during Grant’s run for the presidency. Colfax was on the Republican ticket as vice-president.
Greenstockings Photograph – An 1885 framed photograph of the Greenstocking Baseball Club of South Bend was donated to the Center for History collections by J.C. Lauber.