Ever go to the St. Joseph County Public Library’s Bookmobile? Originally the South Bend Public Library, its name changed in 1990 to the St. Joseph County Public Library. With a capacity of 2,000 volumes, the Bookmobile traveled to many neighborhoods. The $7,943.91 purchase was approved in 1952 by the Board of Education, which at the time was responsible for both schools and the library. The Bookmobile made its first outing in March 1953 and was active into the 1980s, when it was phased out. Shown in the picture are Roger Francis (left), then-director of the South Bend Public Library; Helen Spears (middle), the first driver-librarian; and an unidentified man (right).
Send this to a friend