Campbell Box and Tag Company
Location: 903 S. Main St., South Bend
Marvin Campbell came to South Bend in 1870 and entered the hardware business, where he remained until 1888 when he became a partner in the Mishawaka Woolen Company. Between those years he found time to serve at Indiana State Senator (1883-1885). In 1893 he helped organize the Folding Paper Box Company, later reorganized as the Campbell Paper Box Company, with his twin brother Myron and partner W.H. Barger. They manufactured butter cartons and egg case fillers. Gaskets for automobiles were made in the gasket department of the company. When the company began producing shipping and marking tags the name of the company was changed to Campbell Box and Tag.
The handsome four-story building with stone foundation walls was built around 1900 after the Studebaker brother prodded Marvin Campbell to expand his operations. In about 1959 the Stone Container Company of Mishawaka purchased Campbell Box and Tag Company and the building now belongs to and is used by American Van Lines