This photograph of a Grand Trunk Railroad car was taken circa 1870 near Division Street (now Western Avenue) in South Bend. In the 1860s, Division Street was one of the most desirable neighborhoods in South Bend. However, in 1868, the Peninsular Railway Company of Indiana was given the authority to lay tracks through this area without the consent of its residents. The citizens living on Division Street fought the railroad company for years to no avail. Eventually, construction of this line through South Bend helped to extend the mainline of the Grand Trunk Railroad all the way to Chicago. Donated by Jean Derbeck.
Grand Trunk Railroad