Shown in this picture are children who gathered at Hering House on October 31, 1957, dressed in their favorite trick-or-treat costumes. Hering House, located at 726 W. Western Avenue in South Bend, was a civic center donated to the African American community by Clarabel and Frank Hering, who was the head football coach at the University of Notre Dame from 1896-98. Hering was also the first basketball coach at Notre Dame, coaching one season only, 1897-98, and coached the University’s baseball team from 1897-99. Often referred to as the “House of Hope,” Hering House was dedicated on March 8, 1925, and was active for 40 years, closing in 1965. The building featured an auditorium, reading room, recreation hall, club room, and dining room, among other areas. Donated by Ida Mitchum.
Hering House Halloween Party