Location: 1408 Elwood Ave., South Bend
“Standard,” “Bavarian,” “Arzburg Export,” and “Silver Edge” were among the brands of beer made at Muessel’s Brewery. Christopher Muessel, son of a brewer from Arzburg, Germany, came to South Bend to establish a brewery. In the 1860’s he purchased land off Portage Avenue that would become his brewery, Muessel Park, Muessel School, and home lots. His brewing company was formally incorporated in 1893. When Christopher died in 1894 his sons and grandsons took over the business. New buildings with the latest equipment were constructed, including the one-story office building after 1900 and the large brewing building of 1911, both of red pressed brick with white stone trim.
After a full shut down during Prohibition, the renovated brewery reopened in 1933. The boiler room had been enlarged, a new bottling plant was erected, and new storage cellars were added. But, due to inexperienced management, the brewery did not prosper, and was purchased by Drewry’s Limited of Canada in 1936 to become the largest distributor of any of the South Bend/Mishawaka breweries. In June of 1972, G. Heilman Brewing Company of Wisconsin bought Drewry’s from its parent firm; and brewing at the South Bend plant ceased in September of that year.
Most of the buildings of Muessel-Drewry’s Brewery are now demolished.