When it first opened in 1930, Notre Dame Stadium was often referred to as “The House That Rockne Built.” Head Coach Knute Rockne had advocated to the Notre Dame administration for a new football stadium for years. After Father O’Donnell became President in 1928, the Board of Trustees agreed to proceed with the project. Rockne offered ideas for even the smallest details of the new structure, even calculating a seat width that would allow for as many fans as possible. Formal dedication took place on October 11, 1930, with Navy as the opponent. A rededication of the stadium took place on September 6, 1997, following a major renovation that added more than 21,000 seats.
Notre Dame Stadium
Send this to a friend