In this circa 1910 photograph, elephants from the Ringling Brothers Circus are walking down Michigan Street in downtown South Bend. Ringling Brothers Circus was founded in 1884 by Albert, August, Otto, Alfred, Charles, John and Henry Ringling, sons of German immigrants. Their circus became successful with acts such as “Jumbo,” which was promoted as the world’s largest elephant. In 1919, Ringling Brothers acquired Barnum & Bailey Circus and became known as one of the largest and best run circuses throughout the country, advertising themselves as “The Greatest Show on Earth.” Donated by Arthur W. Cooksey.
Ringling Bros Circus Parade