George Wyman and Company served customers for 112 years, from the time the retail establishment moved into its new store at 107-109 N. Michigan Street in 1878 until it closed in 1972. With special services such as hat making, window-shade cutting, and home deliveries over a 50-mile area, the store proudly boasted a “splendid stock of staples and fancy dry goods.” Well before the 1930s, when this photograph was taken, Wyman’s had become a major department store in downtown South Bend. Shown at night, the building is aglow with exterior holiday lights as well as lit window displays. Barely visible is the banner over the main entrance, which reads: “The Home of A Thousand Useful Gifts.” A major expansion occurred in 1951 when Wyman’s purchased Ellsworth Department Store, located next door. A 1962 renovation integrated five additions to the building with a new blue and white ceramic tile façade. The building was demolished in 1973.
Wyman's Department Store